Sunday, January 18, 2015

Rome - Day 1

The day started with us getting up at 3am to go to the airport. That was rough. We flew Lufthansa and had a layover in Frankfurt. Since Brendan travels so much we hung out in the business class lounge. That was nice.

Day 1: (Monday 1/12/2015)
River Palace Hotel
Spanish Steps
Trevi Fountain

We landed in Rome at 2pm and had a car from the hotel ready to take us to River Palace (highly recommend the place!)

That evening we walked over to the Spanish Steps. Just as many other blogs about traveling to Rome warned us, there are MANY people trying to sell things to you on the streets and they are extremely aggressive and pushy. I had one guy try really hard to put a rose in my hand (once you take it, you have to pay for it). I had to keep my hands in my pocket and tell him "no thank you" multiple times. The primary thing they were selling on the streets are these poles to hook your cell phone to so you can extend it out further for a "selfie" -- and no we did not get one.




We then walked to the Trevi Fountain. Sadly it is under renovation. We could still walk through the scaffolding and threw a coin in. Is it bad luck to throw a coin when there's no water?








Got our very first gelato. I had the pistachio and it was VERY good. Then we found a place to eat dinner.


Went to "happy hour" at our Hotel, and fell in love with Peroni beer... ended up being our nightly tradition :)

Our hotel had a "turn down" service. They gave us a little card with tomorrow's weather and some candy. They'd pull the sheets a little and put these towels by our bedside. 



Yeah....so, I had quite the first experience with this shower. I turned on the water and then changed it to the shower head.  The pressure was so great the shower head popped out of the holder you see in this picture and flayed around like a snake --- spraying everything -- me trying to catch it. LOL. I finally turned the water off and turned to see Brendan behind me, smirking. He then turned the water on low, put the shower head in the holder above (above the head) and walked out. WHY is the shower holder thing down there anyways!? 
Also, the glass just stops halfway -- no shower curtain. I don't get that. Once my bar soap slipped out of my hand and flew across the bathroom... I had problems. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment