Saturday, January 24, 2015

Rome - Day 5

Day 5: 1/16/2015
Zoo
Circo Massimo
Island of Tiberina
St. Maria Basilica (supposedly the "first" church in Rome)
Trastevere



It has become our tradition to go to the Zoo in all the places we have gone. It was honestly nice to do something different from the many museums and churches we had gone to. Brendan's comment this last day was "If I enter another museum I am going to blow up" lol :) I still had a few more I wanted to go to. I guess we will have to go again!




 They had a ton of monkeys! And they were very active and playful.


" Brendan, do you want to go see the smallest monkeys in the world?" Brendan, "YES!" -- he now wants a pygmy monkey.






 The zoo had a little area which I believe is a "petting zoo" at certain times.
 This baby goat was doing these cute little hippity-hops.  Adorable. I kinda want one now... :P








 I don't know what that is, but it is cool.


 They must have just cleaned the tank and were re-filling it.


 She was kneading his tummy! Cutest thing ever!

 We were there just as they were feeding the monkeys. And they knew it was coming!

 One picked up 4 tomatos and stuffed her mouth then went to the top of a tree to eat in peace.



 Pigmy hippo! OH MY GOSH! SO cute. Not much bigger then a Labrador.


We then walked through the park. So peaceful watching people jog and walk their dogs. 










I wished he had stopped at this cafe in the park. It has trees coming through the roof! It's like a fairytale cafe... or a Hobbit's cafe in the Shire. 




St. Maria Basilica - claimed to be the "first church"





















 Walking through the neighborhood of Trastevere... beautiful area!



 Island of Tiberina (thought to be a place where Peter was held in prison). It later became a hospice run by nuns and is still a hospital now-a-days.







 This is Circus Maximus - where chariot races use to be held. Right behind Palantino Hill.





We bought some more gelato :)

I loved our trip to Rome. I could have spent many more days there and still not have scratched the surface of art and history. The people were so nice and kind. The language is beautiful! I really enjoyed seeing things I had studied and more! (I was double majoring in Art (Graphic Communication) before I transferred to DU (which didn't offer a similar degree). So I have done multiple art classes.

Brendan enjoyed the food :)

Our last night we went to this restaurant called Il Gabriello for a second time cause we loved it so much. The waiter remembered us and gave us a complimentary glass of wine which he said was a "boutique" wine and one other desert wine (after we, of course, had bought and drank a bottle already... The blue one on the table in this picture... BTW if you can find this wine it is AMAZING....)


No comments:

Post a Comment